Enterprise Software Development has gone through a metamorphosis in the last few years. From being complex, clunky and low on user experience, the modern enterprise software is transformed today into cool, smart and user-friendly.
What brought the change?
2 things. Employee expectations and the emergence of new technologies.
Mobile started the trend. Apps took it to the next level. The emergence of iPhone apps, Facebook and other consumer software put user experience and ease of use to the center of a software’s success. No longer the success of software is just defined by the complex tasks it could handle but also by how easy it is to use.
And with the influx of new technologies mobile, Cloud, Analytics, IoT and AI etc., enterprise software continued to become much intuitive, context-aware and intelligent.
We expect the transformation of enterprise software to continue as it adapts to new technologies. Here’s our list of 5 technologies that will drive enterprise application development
1. Cloud Computing- According to Gartner, IT spending is expected to grow 3.2 percent globally in 2019 to $3.8 trillion as enterprise software, cloud and digital transformation projects boost growth. It has been around for some years. And we have seen mass adoption of cloud computing in enterprises. Cloud will continue to influence enterprise software development as businesses look to be more responsive, fast and RoI driven. We will see enterprises embracing full cloud solutions over on-premise infrastructure.
2. Internet of Things- A DBS Asian Insights study predicts IoT devices and services to reach 18 to 20 percent adoption in 2019. No longer a software can work in isolation. It has to be connected and collaborative. And offer more than the sum of its parts. As enterprises get digitally transformed into smart factories and business, IoT-driven connected enterprise software will become a regular norm.
3. Artificial Intelligence- AI has become the new imperative for businesses. We will witness ubiquity of AI in the coming days in enterprises. There has been significant adoption of Machine Learning in the enterprises in the last couple of years. As per a Deloitte study, 63% of enterprises have adopted machine learning, in 2018. This has set the foundation to embrace AI in a big way.
4. BlockChain- The adoption of Blockchain in enterprises was slower in 2018 but it is expected to gather pace in the coming days. The potential of blockchain is there in every type of industry- retail to healthcare, manufacturing to banking. There are many companies investing big dollars in Blockchain. However, the next level of blockchain adoption will depend on coming together of multiple parties as it happened with the supply chain.
5. Experience Design- As enterprises make huge investments in business software, it would be critical to maximizing its usage. That’s where experience design that optimizes the experience, effectiveness and engagement will be the key. We will see enterprise software developed which not only solves business problems but is easy to use and accentuates user experience.
Enterprise Software will continue its transformation as it gets empowered by new emerging technologies. Software developers have a huge job in their hand to keep pace with the evolving scenario and meet client expectations. As for enterprises, they need to build futuristic software that is made for the new age leveraging new technologies.