Is smart traffic management a real concern? Most of the traffic management systems available today are not automated and prone to human errors. Traffic monitoring in many countries is the biggest concern, due to overcrowding, increasing daily commuters, globalization, shortened or narrow roads. Improper architecture in the signaling system and avoidance of traffic rules are affecting the traffic inflow and leading to congestion. And malfunctioning at traffic management sources ending up suing the wrong individual for rule violation. Traffic congestion at various intersectional crossings is leading to pollution and global warming that affect the internal city environment. And long waiting hours in traffic is an expensive deal for commuters due to high fuel consumption. Every government is focusing on the issues related to traffic monitoring and managing networks. Operating better road networks for free traffic flow has a direct impact on the productivity of the economy.
Intelligent automated systems are taking over the traditional operational methods after the technology explosion. An intelligent traffic management system provides an advantage by offering safe public transportation, strict punishments on violating traffic rules, ticketing system automation, etc. And advanced solutions for solving traffic congestion in major cities around the world. The advanced tech applications of IoT, AI, computer vision, supervised machine learning, and big data are providing real-time solutions to the traffic management problems. Smart roads, smart highways, smart street lights, advanced 3d vision cameras, and automated traffic signaling systems are part of a smart traffic management system. A smart traffic management system is expected to reach USD 20.53 billion by 2026 at CAGR of 8.6% according to statista reports. More researches are done for offering better products for smart traffic management.
Smart traffic management system goals
- – Prioritize moderate traffic conditions by analyzing real-time traffic situations.
- – Providing congestion-free traffic.
- – Improvising traditional ticketing with automated E-bill payment system.
- – Speed sensors to warn commuters over speed violation.
- – Provide a smart lighting system that reserves renewable energy sources.
- – Offer safe and punctual public transportation.
- – Eradicate pollution.
- – Advanced traffic monitoring systems at intersections and narrow road ends to provide the right traffic guidance through GPS and GIS.
- – Optimizing road networking systems, through building IoT, enabled quick and better communication systems.
AI & Big Data components enhancing smart traffic management
AI and big data components have the potential to change the way how traffic monitoring and traffic control systems work in the present scenario.
Smart traffic control system (IoT integrated AI System)
The drawback of having a predefined time-based signaling system in many cities is that the traffic management system functions irrespective of traffic flow. And the responsive smart traffic control systems act according to the real-time traffic conditions. Below mentioned are the components of smart traffic control system-
- 1. A central control system: The central control system acts as a base of a traffic control system. This system is integrated with traffic lights, signals, cameras, and queue detectors. The AI-based system can analyze real-time data by collecting information from the computer vision-enabled 3d AI cameras and queue detectors. The AI system helps in passing on an optimized information to control the functioning of the traffic lights and signals for the free flow of traffic.
- 2. Smart signal lights: Smart traffic lights and signals reduce the inefficiencies in traffic congestion and idle time at intersections. The intelligent lights can manage the queue and clear the traffic irrespective of the predefined timing system.
- 3. Intelligent cameras and queue systems: The cameras and queue system updates information to the control system about the real-time traffic condition. And the control system enacts this real-time information to clear the overcrowding traffic and helps in reducing pollution.
1.AI integrated big data tools and IoT enabled intelligent communication systems are integral parts of smart traffic monitoring systems. And the tech components that define the smart traffic monitoring system are traffic lights, smart roads, public transportation, smart parking, and geospatial traffic guidance system. These systems replace traditional ticketing systems with automation by providing advanced assistance through IoT enabled communications. Services by integrating sensors, vehicle-mounted information systems, and private individual vehicle tracking devices for tracing commuter location.
2. Smart roads and smart highways are developing tech applications of AI. The roads and highways are equipped with sensors that monitor vehicle speed and informs the vehicle owners through vehicle-mounted information systems regarding speed over limit, penalties, and information regarding overhead traffic. Smart parking enables access to information through an app or mobile application regarding vacant parking lots at a particular location for better assistance.
3. Geospatial traffic guidance system is an integration of GIS, GPS, and radiofrequency devices. It provides 3d visualization of real-time geographical data based on the position of a physical object. GPS is currently used to detect the best routes to reach particular destinations within less time based on the traffic in all possible pathways. The geospatial technology can advance this system by providing guidance, possible upcoming obstacles, and traffic inflows from various routes and their respective queue length.
Physical infrastructure extension is an available solution for traffic management in many regions of the world. But the task is time consuming, costly, complex, and disturbing work. Employing technology as a key monitoring and management tool to overcome obstacles is a vice decision over physical infrastructure destruction. The smart traffic management system can provide intelligent insights and solutions for current problems through few modifications and tech integrations. AI is evolving as a prominent tool in every sector. And the future traffic management systems for the smart community would be an intelligent traffic management system. If you resonate with our article please share your thoughts with us.