Hospital bed management systems became a pivotal practice after the National Health Service’s statement rule on patient’s emergency trolly waiting hours. After an accident, inconvenient waiting hours in hospital waiting halls due to improper operational capacity planning and control over managing, allotting, and maintaining beds may turn frustrating when emergency care is required. The lack of real-time data analysis provides a disadvantage resulting in patient overcrowding and malefactions in inpatient bed management services during emergencies.
Monitoring and managing inpatient-outpatient capacity & patient inflows can be challenging tasks during emergencies. Unplanned inventory, the inability of beds, and other scarce resources may lead to poor operations, and that affects the hospital’s goodwill. The data integrated robust bed management systems improve healthcare services by optimizing operations. The digitilized data-driven hospital bed management system provides an advantage with the accessibility of real-time data. It includes predictive planning, altering beds during emergencies, improved individual patient care, efficiency in diagnosis, and systematized operations.
The hospital bed management system is a fusion and integration of various systems, which perform and fulfill distinct operations at the basic level of hospital management. The systems include EHR (electronic health records), ADT system (admission, discharge, and transfer system), emergency department information system, and BMS (bed management system). Utilizing the mentioned technologies and their significant insights help in determining a flowchart of hospital operations that can better the existing bed management system. The optimized hospital information helps in better operations during addressing accidental & emergency cases, medical assessment cases, and patients transferred from other hospitals for better treatment.
- ADT system: The admission, discharge, and transfer systems are popularly known as ADT that digitally records information regarding patient status, medication details, allotted bed duration, etc. The ADT system is a digital data analytical tool that uses data analysis to predict and provide real-time information on patient demographic data. The accessibility of analyzing this information can provide an advantage in understanding each bed status in a particular ward for better hospital operations. During an A&E (accident or emergency) situation, the time in allotting and shifting reserved patients to vacant beds can be reduced by announcing the list of available beds in different wards. It helps in taking preventive action against emergencies in a hospital.
- EHR systems: An electronic health records system is a digital tabulation of patients’ paper charts that provide real-time instant access to individual patient history for authorized users. The data stored in EHR is in an unstructured format. Leveraging NLP tools help in analyzing, interpreting, and decoding valuable insights from data. These insights can predict the chance of re-admissions of old patients, outpatient records, and real-time status of admitted patients. Hence with this data, the hospital operations management can divide and calculate the no.of beds available for occupancy in every ward and the reserved time and date of regular patients who often visit the hospital for checkups.
- EDIS: A&E portal plays a vital role in hospital bed management as 80% of the cases where the hospital runs out of resources is during emergency and accidental mishaps. Predicting and analyzing real-time data and follow up of hospital operations is crucial during this situation. The emergency data information system is integrated with electronic patient records that provide suitable information for clinical and hospital management to tackle emergencies. Information provided supports patient care and operations information, efficient treatment for better cure, notifications on shortage of inventory, and prioritizes in increasing hospital revenues.
- HBMS: The hospital bed management system provides realtime data access to staff and senior management regarding vacant, preoccupied, reserved information of beds through digital dashboard. The HBMS is systematically interconnected with other systems like ADT, EDIS, and EHR for obtaining, resourcing, and analyzing real-time data.
What is the significance of hospital bed management?
HBMS lessens time spent by staff and senior staff in physically counting and recording bed information and with BMS as every staff in a hospital has required information regarding a particular patient on a particular bed, helps in offering better treatment and diagnosis procedure. With the availability of A&E information, HBMS provides real-time information regarding hospital inventory and resource management.
BENEFITS OF HBMS:
1. Ease of flow between intra and internal department communications.
2. It helps in ending up patients’ long waiting hours, treatments in unhygienic environments, and transferring to other hospitals.
3. It improves time management to eradicate delays in surgeries and operation cancellations due to the unavailability of OT.
4. Better management of internal resources and provides guided instructions for housekeeping in bedding, that increases personal patient care.
5. Clear understanding of every patient through pre-designed diagnosis for each bed defined with a distinct bed number.
6. Helps in bed assignment operations through data mismatch.
7. Improving patients care by understanding patient demographics.
8. Helps in designing and developing new models for better management of inventory.
Hospital bed management is a crucial activity in any hospital. Inefficient and ineffective bed management operations may lead to complex problems. The above article describes the importance, benefits, and systems that help in a better understanding of bed management in hospital operations. Even though HBMS is at initial stages of development at various hospitals, the fully developed HBMS will unfold new strategies and advantages for better operation. HBMS presence impacts and improves operations and systems in clinical and hospital management available today – from financial operations, housekeeping, bed management, patient cure, etc. As every developing technology cant be recognized until it revolutionizes the industry. HBMS is in the same phase and its integration in healthcare is driving growth at a fast pace. If you resonate with our article please your thoughts.