Building a mobile app is easy. But building successful mobile app startups is not.
There are hundreds of mobile app development companies in the market. And, you will surely find a mobile app developer who can build an app for your business within your budget. Even if you don’t have resources to build a custom mobile app, you can opt for a white-label app that will cost you significantly less.
Building a mobile app startup is tough. Why? There are millions of apps in the app stores.
According to VisionMobile report, more than 50% of them fail to make even $500 per month. Only 1.6% of app developers take the lion’s share of the app store revenue.
Also, as per the Small Biz Trends report, 90 percent of startups fail.
Still, there are countless truly inspirational and successful mobile app startups that have disrupted the marketplace and carved a niche. So how do they do it? Here are 5 winning secrets for mobile app startups-
1. Find a big enough idea- While every business idea has the potential to make it big. Not every idea has a big enough market to be successful. The success of your app business majorly depends on the demand for the products/services you’re offering. Today, Whatsapp or Facebook is a huge success because there was a big need for such offerings in the market. So check whether your business idea has the demand to keep it sustainable.
2. Execute fast- While it is important to deeply assess your idea before you move ahead, remember ideas are valueless till they are executed. Agility should be in the DNA of any startups. The ability to quickly build, deploy, test and improve is quintessential in the digital age. Go through Google’s history to see where it started and what it is now. Over the years, it kept adding new features in its core ‘Search Engine’ as well as other services.
3. Don’t wait for the perfect product- A perfect product that ticks all the boxes is rarely built at once. It takes time, failures and iterations to make the perfect product. While you need time to build the perfect product, the market isn’t waiting for you. So launch a good enough product or a minimum viable product (MVP). Build the core of the product as an MVP and launch it in the market.
4. Let data be your guide- Launch the MVP in a small market. Test it. Check how users are engaging with your app. These days you can easily integrate analytics with your app that will give you data and insights at the granular level. Keep an eye on the vital stats like the number of app installs, engagement level, time spent etc., and derive insights from them. This will help you build a plan for your Product 2.0.
5. Market your app aggressively- Just building an innovative app with huge potential is half the job done. You need to take it to its audience. So, don’t just put it in app stores and wait. There are many free and paid app marketing strategies to creatively promote an app. Build a marketing strategy as per your budget. And don’t wait for your product to be ready to market it. Start promoting the idea and then the product when it is ready for launch.
Keep working on your app, even if you get a million users in the first month. The competition is coming. So, always be in your toes and think of ways to make your app more useful, user-friendly and engaging to your user. As new technologies emerge, user behaviour is radically shifting. So keep improving!