The digital disruption in multimedia and extensive use of images and videos in the world wide web gave attention to the computer-enabled education system. Computer vision journey, from research to acceptable working prototype, took decades and today this technology is leveraged by many industries in various aspects where education is becoming a mainstream subject of it.
The traditional passive monitoring education system had less involvement of students in the learning process as learning differs from understanding. A better understanding of the concepts and their real-world implementations help students in better academics and strong personality development. Computer vision enables students to capture, evaluate, comprehend and processes real-time learning for better understanding.
How computer vision can transform classroom education
The era of education where every student is measured and seen in one perspective is ending. As every individual is different and has their unique capabilities and interests, the teaching perceptions should be changed. By implementing computer vision in the education system, these traditional practices can be broken down, where computer vision in classroom teaching is mainly used in two different ways
1. For monitoring and analyzing individual student perceptions.
2. In the field of practical teaching for real-world experience, that improves the overall learning experience.
As vision is a vital human sense, it is proven that people remember 20% of what they hear and 40% of what they see. When teaching is more vocal than practical, it has minimum impact and the process to understand it takes a long time for the human brain. The vision has a clear advantage over systematized hearing. The more a student visualizes the learning experience, the more they remember the concept for future applications.
The main advantage of computer vision is ease and non-obstructive classroom monitoring with affective computing and the availability of low-cost cameras in electronic devices allow tutors to measure the engagement level of individual students in a particular session, whether pupils are motivated or disinterested in the class without interrupting the student activities, etc.
Before discussing the untapped potential of computer vision, let’s speak about how computer vision will help online tutors/ education creators in creating more engaging classroom practice based on the student’s feedback about the particular class. With increasing internet usage, people can search for online classes on interesting topics. Their level of engagement and their perception matters a lot, but how to measure them?
A team of researchers from the University of Sao Paulo has developed a low-cost eye-gaze tracker with the help of a laboratory of technologies for interaction. This measures the individual facial expressions and their thinking based on the position and orientation of the eye. By integrating this technology with intelligent systems, educators can detect the involvement level of students in different learning processes, which provide feedback to the tutors/mentors in improving their teaching for effective learning experience.
Benefits of computer vision in education:
From the last decade, the digital disruption has shaken up every industry dynamics, which increase the use of internet users. The online education system also gradually increased. From smart classes to digital classes, the massive change has increased the potential of computer vision for future learning. Computer vision offers the following benefits –
- – Monitoring online class behavior of individuals, to create more personalized filters based on the understanding level, strengths, and weaknesses of learners.
- – The traditional classroom integrated with intelligent systems can monitor the student’s behavior and opinions through computer vision-enabled facial recognition systems.
- – Based on the feedback information from the intelligent system, educators can work on their teaching methods for a better understanding of their students.
- – Virtual classrooms- computer vision-enabled virtual classroom experience helps students in understanding the real-time industry practices, without any prior experience and more engaged learning.
- – Beyond advanced teaching methods, computer vision enhances the interaction between the students and teachers, where students are grouped according to their interests, increases the likelihood of communication in peer to peer discussions.
- As computer education is at the initial stages of development, the advancement in education technologies can unfold new implementations for better education. The primary goal is creating an engaging and cooperative environment between students and instructors and computer vision is playing a vital role as of now. The disrupting technologies integrated with intelligent systems are offering a new generation of education through virtual learning. Virtual classroom is still under progress but industries like hospitality, manufacturing, and healthcare are using working prototypes to teach students, trainees, and employees in a particular field for skill development based on virtual industry experiences.
If you need any help with idea validation, proof-of-concept, Data Science consulting, large scale AI implementation, Big Data Engineering, or a creative solution for your Significance Of Computer Vision data. You are at the right place.
Talk to our experts